Mozilla Thunderbird 52 is a free, full-featured email and chat client with an RSS feed reader and newsgroups support. It lets you manage multiple email accounts with advanced filtering.
Thunderbird 52 Features
Introducing Mozilla Thunderbird 52. Included are:
- Mail Account Setup Wizard: The wizard handles IMAP, SMTP, and SSL/TLS settings. It checks Thunderbird and selects the correct settings after entering your name and password.
- Multiple-Channel Chat: Chat with contacts from Facebook, Google Talk, IRC, Twitter, or XMPP. Find old emails and search past conversations.
- Attachment Reminder: When your outgoing email contains the word “attachment” or a similar term, Thunderbird prompts you to attach the file.
- Personalized Email Addresses: Thunderbird allows you to create personalized email addresses. The email service does it for you.
- One-Click Address Book: Add contacts by clicking the star on their message. Add more info or a photo in two clicks.
- Tabbed Email: Thunderbird, like Firefox, added Tabbed Email. With tabbed emails, you can quickly switch between them.
- Search Tools: Thunderbird indexes emails and chats for quick searching. The results are tabbed for reference.
- Quick Message Archive: If you don’t need an email message but don’t want to delete it, press the A button.
- Web Search inside Thunderbird: In-browser web search means you never have to leave Thunderbird. To search for a term, type it into Thunderbird’s search field. To search the web for an unfamiliar term or concept in an email, right-click it and select Search the Web for.
- Quick Filter Toolbar: Input words into the Quick Filter search box for near-instant results. You can also filter by New Messages, Tags, or Contacts.
- Activity Manager: Thunderbird’s Activity Manager provides a summary of your browser’s interactions with your email provider.
Customize Thunderbird Experience
You can customize Thunderbird’s email experience in several ways:
- Personas and Themes: Personas are lightweight skins that change Thunderbird’s appearance. Hundreds of personas are downloadable. You can also download Themes that change Thunderbird’s icons.
- Smart Folders: If you have multiple email accounts, Smart Folders combine Inbox, Sent, and Archive folders. Instead of visiting multiple Inbox folders, make one stop.
- Add-ons Manager: There’s no need to leave Thunderbird and go to an add-ons website. View descriptions, ratings, and recommendations for available Thunderbird add-ons from the Add-ons Manager.
- Filelink Large-File Management: Configure Filelink to handle large file uploads. Choose from popular file-sharing sites like Box, YouSendIt, and Ubuntu One.
Thunderbird protects your email by:
- Anti-phishing: Thunderbird guards against being duped into giving out personal information by flagging phishing attempts. It also alerts you when you click a link to a website other than the one specified in the message.
- Privacy and Do Not Track: Thunderbird blocks remote images in emails to protect your privacy. Thunderbird’s Search the Web feature includes a Do Not Track option. Other requests can use an add-on to use it.
- Automated Updates: It also notifies you when a security update is available.
- Spam Filters: Thunderbird learns from each email you mark as spam. The service’s popular spam tools have been updated.
Thunderbird 52 runs on the following OS:
- Windows OS. Compatible with Windows XP SP3 to Windows 10.
- Mac OS. Compatible with Mac OS X 10.9 to 10.13 High Sierra.
- Linux OS. Compatible with Linux GTK+ 3.4 or higher. However, the Thunderbird website lists several additional requirements.